I watched Battle in Seattle last night. It was pretty good. Though I suggest that one should follow it up with this is what democracy looks like. Both pieces are on the WTO protests that occurred in 1999 in Seattle which actually *shut down* the talks. This is what democracy looks like focuses on the protest itself and the use of force used on a non-violent protest whereas Battle in Seattle is a character driven piece and shows several different perspectives of the protest; the protestors of course, a cop, an apathetic citizen of seattle, and a few WTO delegates.

The movie last night inspired some conversation about what drives people to sacrifice and fight. Which I haven't really thought about in the past--5 or 6 months.
Control of my life is why is fight. Freedom and liberty for real--not the shit that is pre packaged flag waving american patriotic--I'm talking real freedom--free from money, meaningless work, social mores--etc. etc.
that and equality--I *know* life is in no way fair--but I feel a sense of injustice that I have so much and other have so little because of things beyond their control. It's just not right in my head to see people struggle because of the class they were born into. If one struggles we should all struggle as a human race. If one is sucessful then we should all find life a breeze. We should not be so far removed from each other as to not be able to comprehend our own humanity.

hmmph.